Alex Gopher is a musician, producer and DJ of the international electronic scene, a key figure of the French Touch music scene. In the beginning of the 90â€™s there was Orange, a pop band with Jean-BenoĂ®t Dunckel, Nicolas Godin (Air) and Xavier Jamaux. Their collaboration lasted 5 years. Alex just added the name Gopher and went on to create Solid label in 1994 with Etienne de Crecy, starting off with the release of the first record â€śGopher EPâ€ť.
Alex Gopher became one of the pioneers of a new promising movement. The â€śFrench Touchâ€ť is everywhere and the Superdiscount project, on which Alex composed and produced two tracks, was a big contribution. Alex confirmed his talent and shined with 5 new 12â€ť releases including Gordini Mix which featured the track â€śBrakes onâ€ť produced with Air. Then he produced remixes for various artists such as Bob Sinclar, Nightmares on Wax, Bootsy Collins, JamiroquaĂŻ, Vanessa Paradis or Sly and Robbieâ€¦
In 1998 he released his first solo album â€śYou, my baby and Iâ€ť, which featured the single â€śThe Childâ€ť with the famous letter-shaped animated video with references to New York, directed by Antoine Bardou-Jacquet / H5.
Early 2000, Alex wrote the score for the Yves Saint-Laurent fashion show â€śBlack Tieâ€ť created by Hedi Slimane. Catherine Deneuve made a vocal appearance on the tracks. His album â€śWuzâ€ť will be the result of this work.
In 2003, Alex went back in studio with Etienne de Crecy, for Superdiscount 2. He co-wrote two tracks plus the single â€śFast Trackâ€ť and performed on a long worldwide tour.
Then he signed a new serie of 12â€ť releases included â€śMotorcycleâ€ť (KitsunĂ©) and in 2007, on his new label Go 4 Music, an album, simply called â€śAlex Gopherâ€ť, revival of his early music with more pop song writing and co-produced by Etienne de Crecy.
Between 2008 and 2009, he signed the Aurora EPs vol.1&2, the Belmondo EP, and the Handguns EP and released a double album compilation "My New Remixes" with all his last remixes for artists like Fischerspooner, Dada Life, Benny Benassi, AutoKratz to name just a few.
From 2010 to 2012, he mixed several albums, Carte Blanche EP (DJ Mehdi & Riton / Ed Banger), I Love Japan EP (Saint Michel)â€¦, composed for several commercials and produced a new EP â€śInvasion/Viragesâ€ť. He also worked with Xavier Jamaux on an original soundtrack for the movie produced by Johnnie To and realesed by Soi Cheang â€śMotorwayâ€ť (album released date october 22nd 2012).
Alex Gopher has just released his new Ep â€śHello Inc.â€ť (in collaboration with Saint Michel and remixes from Digitalism, DJ Falconâ€¦), the first single of his forthcoming album.
At the same time he signs the soundtrack of â€śHelloâ€ť, the exhibition by H5 (Logorama) at La GaitĂ© Lyrique in Paris from october 11th to december 30th, 2012.
- GOPHER EP / ep 1994 Solid
- EST-CE UNE GOPHER PARTY BABY ? /ep 1996 Solid
- GORDINI MIX / ep 1997 Solid
- YOU, MY BABY & I / ep 1998 Solid
- THE CHILD / ep 1998 Solid
- YOU, MY BABY & I / lp 1999 Solid
- TIME / ep 1999 Solid
- THE CHILD / ep 2000 Solid
- PARTY PEOPLE / ep 1999 Solid
- WUZ / lp 2002 Solid
- WUZ / WITHOUT YOU / ep 2002 Solid
- WUZ / USE ME / ep 2002 Solid
- I NEED CHANGE / DUST / ep 2005 BTK
- SPAM EP / ep 2006 PIAS
- MOTORCYCLE / ep 2006 Kitsune
- BRAIN LEECH / ep 2007 Go 4 Music
- ALEX GOPHER / lp 2007 Go 4 Music
- AURORA / ep 2008 Go 4 Music
- BELMONDO EP / ep 2008 Go 4 Music
- AURORA Vol.2 / ep 2008 Go 4 Music
- HANDGUNS / ep 2009 Go 4 Music
- MY NEW REMIXES / dble lp 2009 Go 4 Music
- INVASION / VIRAGES / ep 2011 Go 4 Music
- MOTORWAY / lp 2012 Go 4 Music
- HELLO INC. / ep 2012 Go 4 Music
COLLABORATIONS & FEATURINGS :
- 2 TRACKS WITH ETIENNE DE CRECY â€“ SUPERDISCOUNT / 1996 Disques Solid
- 3 TRACKS WITH ETIENNE DE CRECY â€“ SUPERDISCOUNT 2 / 2005 Disques Solid
- 1 TRACK WITH AIR / 1999 Virgin â€“ PREMIERS SYMPTOMES / 1999 Virgin
- 1 TRACK WITH AIR & ETIENNE DE CRECY â€“ ASH SYNC / 2010 H5